Friday, November 11, 2016

Week 45 Bible Reading Review

Week 45  John 1:1 to John 18:1

John 4:9  “For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.”  The HCSB has 2 footnotes:
1. (or do not share vessels)
2. Some manuscripts omit this.
The footnotes give me a different picture than complete disassociation.

John 5:3-4  This portion about the “magic waters” always sounded fanciful to me.  The HCSB footnote says some manuscripts omit this.

John 5:19-23  Yeshua / Jesus does as the Father or like the Father shows Him.  The difference is important as one way He must wait for every instruction / step from the Father, the other He only mimics as He has been previously shown / taught.

John 14:15 gives a different rendering than some other translations:  “If you love me you will keep my commands” verses “If you love me, keep my commands.”  This HCSB gives a subtle shift from the head to the heart.

John 16:24  Curious verse:  “until now you have asked for nothing in my name”.  Wouldn’t the disciples have been sent out to cast out demons and heal the sick prior to this verse?

John 17:3  Eternal life definition:  To know the Father and the Son.



Next Reading:  Week 46  John 18:1 to Acts 14:1


No comments:

Post a Comment