Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Shifting Atmospheres Chapter 5

Chapter 5 – Spiritual Authority

Although we may desire or wish for imputed spiritual authority passed on to us from Yeshua (Jesus), my observations and experience seems to indicate otherwise for the most part.  Just like authority is generally not un-earned in the physical and takes time and effort to obtain, so to it seems with the spiritual.

One major point mentioned in this chapter is that we are to stay under the umbrella of protection of being in the Father’s will at all times.  Yeshua is our example and we find in scripture that he only did what he saw and heard the Father doing.  (John 5:19)  We need to maintain a relationship and obedience to be able to know what His will is and to continue in it.  Disobedience reduces our spiritual authority.  It seems authority can be gained and increased as we prove ourselves trustworthy and walk in His will and gain experience in spiritual warfare.  The dynamic connection with the Father and Holy Spirit allows us to respond appropriately and in our jurisdiction to various situations that may arise.

KEY:  Spiritual authority is obtained through humility and acts of surrender. (James 4:6)  Contrast to the world where success is often attributed to talent and ambition.  “In God’s kingdom, however, people advance according to how much they are willing to sacrifice.”

IMPLEMENTATION:  “True humility and surrender comes as an act of love.”  “If you desire to grow in spiritual authority, you must give up everything for God and this must come as an act of love.” (Luke 14:26-28)  “Total acts of surrender lead to trust, which activates faith, which in turn results in God increasing our authority.” “Faith is paramount for wielding spiritual authority.” “When we cultivate faith, we increase our authority by placing full confidence in God.”

We also learn in this chapter that partnering with the enemy in sin causes a loss of authority and gives the enemy legal access to our lives.  To be effective we must recognize these situations and break these ties to the enemy to bring deliverance in our lives and others.

Another important key in this chapter is the concept of strength in numbers.  Group unity and prayer increases power and authority over strongholds of the enemy.  We should also ask God to release his angels over the situation.

I was struck in this chapter by the whole idea that I need to operate in my authority or covering and that sometimes it is not good for me to cast out demons, because I had always assumed that since God didn't want anyone to be bound it was my job to eradicate all darkness I met in people.  But this can seriously expose me!  And I want to stay in God's protection.  I had never realized before that I could step outside of God's protection in my spiritual warfare.  Once again, it's more work than I thought: it's an actual relationship!  Now I will ask Holy Spirit if I should pray for the things I see or feel.  God, what do you want me to pray for?

Yeshua stayed in his assignment unless promptings aligned with Abba's will directed him outside.  And that's why it's important to know my purpose, my assignment, so I can live without having to ask every second, "Is this what I should do, God?"  That would tire me out and I couldn't keep going in life.  "We have boundaries assigned to us by God that we must honor."

I liked the strength of the statement Dawna made: "When we partner with unbelief, we forfeit our God-given right to co-labor with Christ."  Wow.  I have a RIGHT to co-labor with Yeshua!  But that is gone when I choose disbelief over him.

No comments:

Post a Comment