Friday, January 1, 2016

Genesis to Revelation Journey Start

This Week's Reading:  Genesis 1:1 to Genesis 25:1

This is the beginning of our journey through the Bible in a year program.  The following are some suggestions on things you can look for when going through each week's readings:  Take notes as you go so you can post your comments at the end of the week.

  • general/specific comments 
  • thoughts/insights 
  • something you learned or sticks out in your mind 
  • questions/things you don’t understand 
  • how to apply something in the text to us today

My responsibility is to have a new post up discussing each week's reading by Saturday or Sunday at the latest.

My hope is to have us all be reading from the Bible every day.  Even if you do not read the full suggested passage you are still encouraged to read and comment each week.  If you come across this blog after the readings have started, you can start from the beginning and catch up or jump to the latest week's posting if you like.

If you have not read through the entire Bible before now is the time to start.  If you read through the Bible before one or more times and find it difficult to motivate yourself then I encourage participation in the discussion and comments.  Another thing that may help as you read is to look for a particular topic or theme that you would like to know more about.  For example, what does the Bible say about the nature of God, or what does it say about your purpose, why were you created etc.

It will be difficult to read without our past bias but try to read each section with an open mind.
Ask God for wisdom and understanding as you read.  Ask Him to show you what He wants you to know as you read.

About 15 years ago I was praying and asking God what His will for my life was.  It was quite unexpected when I heard in an “audible” voice “Study My Word” as this was the only time I had experienced such a thing.  I then began to read the Bible and have read through several times but since then have been finding it difficult to stay motivated in reading the "same old" stuff.  Since then I have been reminded in multiple ways the importance of reading His word as it keeps it fresh in our minds and hearts.  Whatever we devote a lot of time to becomes what is on our minds and hearts, good or bad.  There are enough bad things in this world to dwell on so why not dwell on God's words to give us a foundation to take every thought captive and walk in righteousness.  So doing this study again in blog format is for my benefit as well and will help keep me accountable each week.


Do you find it easy or difficult to read / study the Bible?
What helps keep you motivated in reading it?

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for starting this blog, I'll gladly join along. The past two years I have read through the Bible following a OT/NT reading schedule, so I'm excited to see something a little different, so as to keep my daily Bible reading "fresh". It will be encouraging to read others comments as we continue. Well done Timothy! I love you! Your Mom Slawson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I'm glad you started a blog as well! I think it will be just the motivation I need to get on track with scripture reading!
    -Bekah S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a great idea! I am excited to follow along on this journey throughout the year. I have read through the Bible every year for several years, but this year I am challenged to not just read it, but to let it LIVE because Jesus IS the Word and He's Alive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to follow along with this!

    May God guide us to see His ways more clearly and to give us each the yearning to read His word each and every day of this new year.

    Blessings and strength to you!
    Cassie
    of Calico Sisters blog

    ReplyDelete