Saturday, May 7, 2016

To Reflect or To Shine?

Matt 5:16  Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Elaborating a little on last week's Message of Interest: Your Light post, we are told to let our light shine, which is an individual expression of His light in and through us.

I find it much easier to be a reflection or “mirror” than a light.  Sometimes we try to mimic others around us who we admire, to be like them, even though we are to be our own light.  Many times this reflective behavior backfires and we end up being like those not so savory examples in our midst.  For example, someone yells at us, we yell back.  Someone treats us poorly, we do the same in return.

Being a light requires much more courage and strength.  To be consistent and unwavering in quality provides a good light that is desired and doesn’t irritate one’s eyes.   To do this we have to rely on His strength in us and not our own.  To be a light powered by His Spirit.

Psalm 28:7  The LORD is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment